Sometimes your computer will encounter some configuration problems. If it is only a temporary error, stay calm as the repairs are not that difficult. But what if you don’t know what to do, this article will guide you on Windows 7 temporary profile fix. Please follow the steps below carefully to solve this problem.
Signs Of Windows 7 Temporary Profile Error
Working with multiple profiles on Windows 7 can sometimes lead to some temporary configuration errors. You can detect this as soon as you log into the operating system. Here are some of the notifications you might get that shows your device is experiencing a flaw:
- “The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profiles cannot be loaded.”
- “You are logged into a Temporary Profile” or “You’ve been signed in with a temporary profile.”
At this time, you should not do any further action as all data will be deleted as soon as you log out. The worst case is that you have to create a new profile then spend hours backing up and transferring data from the old one.
However, you can save a lot of time and effort by following the steps below. We will show you how to fix Win 7 configuration errors without changing any profile on the computer.
How To Conduct Windows 7 Temporary Profile Fix Process
The first thing you should do is check your system drive and make sure there is at least 200 MB of free space available. Then proceed to log in again.
In case the problem is still not resolved, you need to find a security identifier (SID) for the original account you want to restore. Search for the Command tab and enter the following command
- If you have been logged on with a temporary profile, look for SID by typing: wmic useraccount where name=’root’ get sid
- If you are already on the original account, the code is much shorter: whoami /user
On the black command box, look for the following similar structure: S-1-5-21-3860949763-1019259832-301073028-1001.
It would be best to write down or copy the SID before opening the Registry Editor (regedit.exe). Then go to the Profile List as follows:
There is a list of all the SIDs on your computer in the left pane of this tab. Pay close attention to these three cases:
- (1) SID repeats twice and whether it contains the extension .BAK or not
- (2) There is only one SID with the extension .BAK
- (3)There is only one SID without the extension .BAK
Scenario 1: Case (1)
You just need to delete the folder without the .BAK extension by selecting it and clicking the right mouse button. Choose Delete in the mailbox and then press Yes to complete.
Scenario 2: Case (1) and (2)
Search all folders with your SID. Right-click on the one that contains the .BAK extension and choose Rename. Remove the extension and press Enter to finish the update.
Scenario 3: All Of The Cases
Select the folder with your SID and left-click on it. Choose ProfileImagePath to open the Value data box and enter the path to your original profile.
In case you are unsure about this, switch to C:\Users folder to copy the correct path.
Confirm the command by clicking OK. Then, you will see a new registration window pop up. In the left pane, select State. Delete the old status in the Value data row, and enter 0. Click OK to close the Registry Editor.
Finally, restart Windows 7 you have been logged on with a temporary profile.
Scenario 4: Other Cases
When you logged on with temporary profile Windows 7, sometimes you may find the above solutions ineffective. To deal with it, you had better create a new user account following the steps below:
- Sign in to another existing account on your computer
- Delete the following two folders: C:\Users\%username% and C:\Users\TEMP
- Go the section follow the address below: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ ProfileList
- In the Profile List tab, find the ProfileImagePath corresponding to the current user name. Then, find the GUID entry located above. Notice the Data column on the same row as you will need it in the next step. After that, delete all remaining registry keys.
- Move to a new address: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileGuid
- Delete the same registry keys as GUID in step 5
- Restart your computer
This article has just shown detailed tips for Windows 7 temporary profile fix. We hope that you will find some useful solutions after reading our post. To get the best result, you should follow these instructions step-by-step. As was stated above, it is not a terrible error as long as you calm down enough to handle the problem.
Maybe you are interested in