“This Site Can’t Be Reached“ – Is it so annoying every time you see this error popping up? We bet that all of you would say yes, but “site cannot be reached” is a typical error that you might face while using the Internet.
There are different error codes for “Chrome this site can’t be reached,” such as err_connection_refused, Server DNS address could not be found, and DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN.
Thus, it is hard to tell which method is specific to your problem. However, we will provide you with ten different methods to get rid of this error.
#1 Reset TCP/IP
When you first meet the “this site can’t be reached chrome” error, the simple method you could do is resetting TCP/IP. This method will fix the error if it comes from the current settings of your device.
Step 1: Run the “Command Prompt”
To find the Command Prompt, you could type “cmd” in the Start search box of your computer. Next is clicking on the “cmd” and choosing the “Run as administrator” option.
When you see the “User Account Control” window, select “Yes” to proceed to step 2.
Step 2: Run six commands
There are six commands that you must run in the Command Prompt:
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /all
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh int IP set DNS
- netsh Winsock reset
All you have to do is copying or typing exactly the above commands in the Command Prompt window, pressing Enter, and letting it run. Remember to run the command one by one.
Restart your device after the running commands process is over. Now, check if you can access the site or not. When you still see a “site cannot be reached”, it is time to try the second method.
#2 Change DNS Server Address
Do you know that your DNS server address may cause the “Gmail site can’t be reached” error? It is because we usually use IPv4 DNS Address automatically obtained or set up by Internet providers.
Now, let’s change your IPv4 DNS Address after five steps as follow:
- Step 1: To open the Run window, press the two buttons, “Windows key” and “R,” simultaneously.
- Step 2: Type “ncpa.cpl” in the Run window and click “Ok.”
- Step 3: Open the Internet Connection Status window by double-clicking the Internet Connection symbol. When you see the window, choose the Properties option on the screen.
- Step 4: Find and double-click the “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” line in the Networking tab.
- Step 5: You will find a window as in the picture below afterward. Then, choose the “Use the following DNS server address” option and type in the public DNS server address for Google as below:
Before clicking the Ok button, don’t forget to tick the “Validate settings upon the exit” option on the screen.
Now, try to access the site again to see if we fix the error or not.
#3 Check The Automatically Detect Settings
The third method used to fix the “this site cannot be reached” is also related to the Windows system. The mixture of manual settings and automatic settings could cause the error.
Thus, using the “Automatically Detect Settings” option is a quick way to solve this problem. It will figure out and disable the automatic configuration to avoid overriding the manual settings.
- Step 1: This step is the same as the second method we mention. Press the “Windows key” and “R” buttons to open the Run box.
- Step 2: Type “inetcpl.cpl” and click on the Ok button.
- Step 3: Choose the Connections tab and click on the LAN Settings button.
- Step 4: On the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings screen, select the Automatically Detect Settings and click the Ok button.
#4 Allow DNS Prefetching
If all of the methods that work on your computer’s system are not helpful, you should try some ways to fix them on the Chrome settings. Allowing DNS Prefetching is one of the methods we recommend.
- Step 1: On the right side of the Chrome window and near the Address bar, there is a three-dot button. Click on that button to open the menu for Chrome and select the Settings line.
- Step 2: On the bottom of the Settings window, go to the Advanced Chrome Settings and access the Privacy section. Tick the “Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly” option.
If you can not find the Privacy section, your Chrome is out of date. As a result, updating on Chrome is necessary and this also could help fix the error without any other method.
#5 Use Windows Network Diagnostic
Have you ever used Windows tools to fix your computer problems automatically? We have Windows Network Diagnostic to support the case like the “this site cannot be reached” error.
After a few steps as follow, you could have Windows Network Diagnostic run to detect and fix your error.
- Step 1: Press the “Windows key” and “R” buttons to open the Run box.
- Step 2: Type “inetcpl.cpl” and choose the Connections tab as we do at the third method.
- Step 3: In the General tab, go to the Diagnose button to start the Network Troubleshooter.
Now, you wait for Windows to finish the diagnosis process. After that, disconnecting and reconnecting your Internet is required before you access the site again to check.
#6 Disable Experimental QUIC Protocol
If you think that Windows settings are not the cause of the error, you should consider the Chrome or web browser settings. Chrome settings are more complicated than we could imagine.
Therefore, some unintentional changes in Chrome might result in the error that you are facing. We have a Chrome-related method for you to try in only two steps.
- Step 1: Open your Chrome window and access “chrome://flags/” by type it in the address bar.
- Step 2: Press enter button, and a full option screen will appear. Press the Ctrl and F combination to open the search box. Then, write “Experimental QUIC protocol” to search the part we are looking for.
If you see the status of the Experimental QUIC protocol as the below picture, click the arrow and select “Disable.” Restarting your web browser after changing its setting is essential in this case.
#7 Use The Maximum TLS Version Enabled Option
The next method that we introduce is also related to Chrome settings. But, this time, you must look for the Maximum TLS Version and enable it.
The first step to find this section in the Chrome setting is similar to the previous method. Access the “chrome://flags/” page and open the search box.
Type “TLS” or “Maximum TLS Version” to find the Maximum TLS Version Enabled section. In the drop-down selection, choose “TLS 1.3” instead of “Default.”
Don’t forget to restart your Chrome before you check the result of this method!
#8 Reset All Settings For Chrome
Did the two methods related to Chrome settings fail in fixing your “Gmail site can’t be reached” error? When changing one or two parts in the settings is useless, resetting the Chrome is the easiest solution.
Step 1: Add “chrome://flags/” in the address bar on your Chrome and access the setting window.
Step 2: Click on the “Reset to default” button to turn your Chrome into the original settings.
#9 Restart DNS Client Service
To fix the “this site can’t be reached chrome” error, DNS Client Service restarting is a good option for you. At the point that Windows settings and Chrome settings are not the problems, you should try this.
There are two paces to restart DNS Client Service:
Step 1: Press the “Windows key” and “R” buttons together to open the Windows Run box. Then, type “services.msc” and choose the Ok button on the screen.
Step 2: On the Services window, find and click on the DNS Client. When looking at the left of the window, you will see the Restart option to click.
Once your computer completes the restarting, you could go back to the site and check.
#10 Reinstall your web browser
The last choice we have is reinstalling Chrome or your current web browser. First, go to the Apps & features window by searching in the Start menu.
Then, find Google Chrome and choose the Uninstall option. After the uninstalling process completes, you could download the newest version of Chrome and install it.
The “this site can’t be reached” error is no longer your big issue, thanks to our ten solutions for it. Each error code needs a different method to fix, so just be patient and try our solution one by one.
You should prevent this error in order to avoid being unable to access a website. A simple tip for you is to update your web browser frequently. We hope you find today’s post helpful, and see you on the next blog!
Maybe you are interested in
- How To VLC Trim Video? The Ultimate Guide For Newbies In 2021
- How to remove activate windows watermark? – 2021 Guide
- How To Clear Cache Windows 10 PC-The Ultimate Guide
- Wii Error Code 51330: Four Ways To Fix It Successfully
- What To Do When The Mouse Cursor Disappears In Chrome?
- Bootrec/fixboot access is denied: How to repair it?
- The WiFi keeps disconnecting Windows 10: How to solve this issue?
- User Profile Service Failed The Sign In: How-to Tips For You