As technology developed, computers became an indispensable tool for learning and research purposes. Alongside its benefits come many troublesome technical problems that not everyone acknowledges. One of them is the Ralink Linux Client – an additional network device connecting to your network while there are certainly no such devices. This phenomenon usually happens when you open your computer. Let’s discover what makes this network device so special.
What Is Ralink Linux Client
First of all, we should go through the definition of “What is RalinkLinuxClient”. Ralink is a company that manufactures important chipset products. These chipsets (E.g. the Rt2860 Linux) often serve as components in producing electronic devices such as televisions, security surveillance cameras, etc. It even takes part in some other electronic home appliances.
However, it is difficult to tell which devices use the chip directly because the smart electronics brand often outsourced the chipset from another company.
Ralink Wireless Linux Client.
Ralink Linux Client On Network Devices
The reason why the Ralink Linux Client pops up in the list of network devices while there were no other devices is quite simple. It’s solely because the Ralink chipset and the device’s router share the same IP address, for example, the same 192.168.0 address. Therefore, the system will sometimes confuse and show RalinkLinuxClient in the network list even though the device has nothing to do with it.
The use of shared IPs can harm users because many cybercriminals are aware of the Ralink Linux Client. They will take advantage of this vulnerability to infiltrate and steal users’ network data.
Ralink Linux Client- Is It Secured?
Hackers can completely infiltrate your system by spoofing the affiliate network name as RalinkLinuxClient. Hence, it is extremely necessary to check if your computer is under attack or not. Below are the steps to check your computer’s safety.
- First, turn off your router, then go to the system. Check if RalinkLinuxClient is still visible.
- Then restart the router. It will automatically connect to the devices it has already connected to, and your job now is to turn off each connected device to find out which device is the problem.
- Check if the IP address of the devices connected to the router matches the IP address of the RalinkLinuxClient.
- Change your router’s credentials. Doing this will help to disconnect all previously connected devices and only connect to those trusted ones. This method is quite safe because hackers will need to know the new login information to break into the system.
What Should I Do If I Want To Change My Username Or Password?
Depending on the router’s brand, there are many different techniques to change the name and password. Nevertheless, they usually follow the common path as follows:
- Open Command Prompt: Press Win + R to open the Run window. Then type the command “cmd” and press the Enter button.
- Type the command “ipconfig” and Enter. The screen will open a data list.
- From that data list, you can find out the default gateway id (eg 220.127.116.11). This value would vary differently based on the router brands.
Default Gateway ID.
- Copy the value of Default Gateway, paste it into the address bar of Edge browser, and press Enter.
- The display panel will ask you to enter your login information, including your username and password, which is on your router.
- Log in to the GUI.
- Find the appropriate option to change your SSID and password. Normally, you can do that on the “Security” tab. And finally, change the information and hit “Save options”.
A small note for you, these actions will disconnect your computer from Wi-Fi. You can connect your computer to the router via a LAN cable to avoid such situations while changing the password. After finishing your process, you can reconnect using new credentials on all devices.
The computer will then isolate the possibility of hackers invading your system and confirm that the RalinkLinuxClient is one of your own. Also, you must know that this method will delete similar harmless programs.
Windows Connect Now Services And How To Disable It?
Sometimes utilities are not as useful as it seems. Windows Connect Now Services might be a bit annoying. Here is how to disable it.
- Open Services Manager: Press the Win + R combination to open the Run window. Then, type the command “services.msc” and press Enter.
- Find the Windows Connect Now service among the services displaying in the window.
- open its properties by double-clicking on “Windows Connect Now services.”
- Change the Startup type from on to off. Click the “Apply”, and confirm with the OK box to save the changes.
Some Last Words
Though the Ralink Linux Client looks like a harmless text on your computer. Lack of proper knowledge might result in misunderstanding and underestimating the importance of this case. We hope our article has brought you informative methods to solve your worries. Our advice is to always be cautious working on electronic devices.