5

Write half-reactions for the oxidation and reduction process for each of the following: :tig . , 43 Fez+ Mnor>> Fe"* + Mn"' ' ullui m lo (...

Question

Write half-reactions for the oxidation and reduction process for each of the following: :tig . , 43 Fez+ Mnor>> Fe"* + Mn"' ' ullui m lo (ijmo n #opiao 3j 1o r{grufn fic"| Oh FJo[o .' ' . "; 4b. Sn?t IO,Sn"t + /5? +NO; ->S+NO1 ` |hoini )

Write half-reactions for the oxidation and reduction process for each of the following: :tig . , 43 Fez+ Mnor>> Fe"* + Mn"' ' ullui m lo (ijmo n #opiao 3j 1o r{grufn fic"| Oh FJo[o . ' ' . "; 4 b. Sn?t IO, Sn"t + / 5? +NO; ->S+NO 1 ` | hoini )



Answers

For the complete redox reactions given here, write the halfreactions and identify the oxidizing and reducing agents: (a) $4 \mathrm{Fe}+3 \mathrm{O}_{2} \longrightarrow 2 \mathrm{Fe}_{2} \mathrm{O}_{3}$ (b) $\mathrm{Cl}_{2}+2 \mathrm{NaBr} \longrightarrow 2 \mathrm{NaCl}+\mathrm{Br}_{2}$ (c) $\mathrm{Si}+2 \mathrm{F}_{2} \longrightarrow \mathrm{SiF}_{4}$ $(\mathrm{d}) \mathrm{H}_{2}+\mathrm{Cl}_{2} \longrightarrow 2 \mathrm{HCl}$

In order to break a Redox reaction bound into an oxidation half reaction and direction half action, we should first assign oxidation numbers, toe all the atoms in the reaction. In this way, we can determine which element is oxidized, which means loses electrons and which element is reduced means gains electrons in each part. The losing agent is the reacted in the first half reaction, and the oxidizing agent is the reactant. In the second health reaction, the corruptions in each half reaction have been reduced to this smallest whole number in the action in support a. The practice in our any compound where irons are effie with tree as the oxidation number and oh would do as the oxidation number. Now the two half actions can be written as Effie gives F E three plus plus three electrons and oxygen, which loses for electrons to convert into to outside eyes. Clearly, ox isn't here is the oxidizing agent, which losers electron, and Ireland is the reducing agent because it gains electrons in second equation. Sodium iron doesn't change injection. Therefore, it is a respected Orion. The two half actions can be retinas to BR minus, which gives beer two plus two electrons and seal two plus two electrons, which gives to sail miners now. Clearly, chlorine gas here is the oxidizing agent because it loses electrons and bromide is the reducing agent because it gains electron.

So for this problem, we're going to be balancing some chemical equations using their oxidation states. So you have three parts to dio started our first a going to write out our unbalanced equation and recommend this is always your first step that allows you to see a little bit better. What you're working with makes it a little bit easier to do the problem, even if you have to rewrite it. Okay, so we see this is chlorine and its neutral, elemental state, says Nazi state of Zero. This chlorine has an auspicious stated native one because we see it's raised to a power doctor one. This is also a neutral elemental and we were told this has not seditious state. A positive three sets the charge it has so you can look at Lawson gain lush Ron's for aluminum. We see that it lost three weeks. We want her zero to positive three that for the flooring, we see it gained one cause we went from zero to node one so we can go ahead and balance. Now you have 32 c l two because we have a two here and R C L itself gained one go ahead and write the rest. Our chemical equation. Okay, So what I recommend doing next before going any further, is to go ahead and multiply through by two. And this makes it so that we get rid of that nasty fraction a little bit easier to see how we need to balance or if we need to balance any other Adams in or elements in this equation. And we do. We have three seat belt to which is six chlorine on our reactant side and only two on a product site, which we need to multiply this to see l minus by three. So let's go ahead and do that to balance the Adams and we see three chlorine. The aluminum coefficients from strict Yoshi stayed the same because we're only balancing the glory. This becomes six because you multiplied by three. And now everything is equal throughout and we're done the first part of this problem so we can go on to be now going to go ahead and write this. So what's a sign or oxidation? States, this is elemental. It's zero. Same here. You know, when it's in a compound we have native to and a positive One also should stay for hydrogen here. Same thing native to positive one. And we find this to be positive, to used a cheap method of Will he here? So we're gonna look at los in gain of electrons. Lead will have lost two from zero to positive two and then auction will have gained Teoh from zero to negative two. So that means our electron, uh, gain and loss is already balance. We don't have to worry about it. We only have to worry about balancing the atoms themselves and looking through. We could see that already everything is balanced except for the oxygen. So what we need to dio is go ahead and balance the oxygen and we could do so by adding a to here, which means will need a two here in order to be able to put the two here. And now we see that we have the same amount of all the elements of all this reaction on our products in a react inside. So that was it for B, we can we want to see went to again go ahead and write the full equation and all balanced yet that's what we're gonna be working on f E two plus in Guinea's two plus iron three plus and then water. So go ahead in a sign, states. We see that this is pause of oneness. Raced to empower one two plus what's but plus chew another plus two plus three hydrant plus one. You know, auction is going to be negative, too. Same here native to this is a naturally charge compound and we know that our auction hasn't also said negative too can solve for the minga knees and find that this manganese is a positive seven. So no, he look at loss and gain electrons looking first at iron we see it has lost one because we went from a positive two to a positive three, which is an increase in the positive direction. And then we can also look at manganese. Now we see that we actually gained five here cause we went from a pause of seven toe a positive two which is addition of five electrons, which is a good amount. So going down here ruin to balance based on our Walsten gaining blush Ron's So in order to do so, we will dio leave these same For now, we want to dio five f e two plus Younis to plus but will also need a five here. So our irons were balanced. So now that we have that, we need to work on balancing any Adams. So let's focus on balancing our hydrogen Is next north balance or hydrogen? We see that we have to here, but we also need Tito account are auctions and we have four auctions. So in order to get the right amount of auctions, we're gonna have to have a four h 20 here between we have eight hydrogen ins, so that means we're gonna have to have eight hydrogen ins on our react inside. We don't have to change the coefficient for anything else. Throughout that we've already bounced because now that are hydrogen ins in our auctions are balanced on the product and react inside. You see that this is our final balance equation and we are done with this problem

So we know that oxidation is loss of electrons. Um, so electrons are going to be shown on the right hand side. If you lose them, they're going to be like products. And reduction is a gain of electrons, which means that you're going to see them kind of as reactant on the left hand side. So, uh part is a reduction for B it's oxidation for see its oxidation, and for d it's a reduction.

Let's write the unbalanced oxidation and reduction half reactions for the following processes. For a the oxidation half reaction will be t e solid to t e two solid, and the production have reaction will be and all three minus acquis to an old gas for be the oxidation. Half reaction will be F two plus acquis toe FD three plus Aquarius, and the reduction have reaction will be which to to Aquarius to H 20 liquid.


Similar Solved Questions

5 answers
Let € be 5 x 5 matrix 50 that the cqquation C z J is cousistent for every U € R'. Is possible for the cjuation Cr to have mlore thall Olle solution for sOlle Rs? Justify your AnSWEI:
Let € be 5 x 5 matrix 50 that the cqquation C z J is cousistent for every U € R'. Is possible for the cjuation Cr to have mlore thall Olle solution for sOlle Rs? Justify your AnSWEI:...
5 answers
Determine whether or not F is a conservative vector field. If it is, find function f such that F = Vf: If it is not, enter NONE: F(X, Y) = (In y + 8xy ) i + (12x2y2 + xly) jf(x, y) =+K
Determine whether or not F is a conservative vector field. If it is, find function f such that F = Vf: If it is not, enter NONE: F(X, Y) = (In y + 8xy ) i + (12x2y2 + xly) j f(x, y) = +K...
5 answers
Fnd the antlderivotive ot cach o/ the following functons (In other words coch case Find the funcbon whose derivativo equals the %lven function ) Remembcr; You enter " Js exp(x), In * In(r) , and absoluto valud 0f X n5 abr(*) . Bator E72 constone 08 Inteoratlon; needed, 20 J()= F(*)-LTG) =, F() - [219 ef (r)=r F(*) - Gora 47()=? F(*)= @e J6)=7 F(>) e Giri J()e Fu) 04 f () = F()- mbure nf()=; F(I) -J()-7 F(*) Gu4Lt f ()=s F(*)=KT()=32 F(r)e
Fnd the antlderivotive ot cach o/ the following functons (In other words coch case Find the funcbon whose derivativo equals the %lven function ) Remembcr; You enter " Js exp(x), In * In(r) , and absoluto valud 0f X n5 abr(*) . Bator E72 constone 08 Inteoratlon; needed, 20 J()= F(*)- LTG) =, F...
5 answers
Ning3 W Identify first Click 3 Jlain how [0 the level the level step. the level Choose V E the Upre: select your lomework: answer and Unit 01 8 8 888 888 & 8 % & #&6* t-Distribution Iwo talls U Table Assignment e/e/8 E8e39382858788881 Print 14 (7 ele/3 Eteeeeeseeeeen complete) Done 333 18088803884882229 elee Eeeeeze3eee66966 el 30ee248893999404 {88888886688#8*} Hw Score: 8 Gheck 8 Question Help 5.53 Answer of 14 Save pts
ning 3 W Identify first Click 3 Jlain how [0 the level the level step. the level Choose V E the U pre: select your lomework: answer and Unit 01 8 8 888 888 & 8 % & #&6* t-Distribution Iwo talls U Table Assignment e/e/8 E8e39382858788881 Print 14 (7 ele/3 Eteeeeeseeeeen complete) Done 333...
5 answers
Sin' dx Ncosx10 | sec" xtan? dx
sin' dx Ncosx 10 | sec" xtan? dx...
5 answers
AP lblftDWB05091.5 ft2 ft1.5 ft
A P lblft D W B 0 509 1.5 ft 2 ft 1.5 ft...
5 answers
Dada Ia funcion f(c)entonces f "(x) es igual &:Seleccione una: 2-4e (2'_21+2)2(r+9)2rt4 e(r'+4r'+3
Dada Ia funcion f(c) entonces f "(x) es igual &: Seleccione una: 2-4 e (2'_21+2) 2(r+9) 2rt4 e(r'+4r'+3...
5 answers
Question 1810 ptsIn a test of Ho: H = 40 against Ha: H * 40, the sample data yielded the test statistic 1.84. Find the p-value for this test Round your answer t0 decimal placcs_
Question 18 10 pts In a test of Ho: H = 40 against Ha: H * 40, the sample data yielded the test statistic 1.84. Find the p-value for this test Round your answer t0 decimal placcs_...
5 answers
(5 pts) Six electrons are trapped in a one-dimensional infinite potential well of width L in h2 terms of the constant Eo (assume that the electrons do not interact and do not neglect 8mL? spin): What is the energy of the ground state, Ej What is the energy of the first excited state, Ez What is the energy of the second excited state, E; ? d. What is the energy of the third excited state, E4
(5 pts) Six electrons are trapped in a one-dimensional infinite potential well of width L in h2 terms of the constant Eo (assume that the electrons do not interact and do not neglect 8mL? spin): What is the energy of the ground state, Ej What is the energy of the first excited state, Ez What is the ...
5 answers
Cdqvlate the uoJTc Iiters of J 3,60 * 10 noll mnertuny odide solutioa that torieins 3S0, umol d mercury(WJ} Tinnlcantdoit(Hglz}, Round Your ans4rr
Cdqvlate the uoJTc Iiters of J 3,60 * 10 noll mnertuny odide solutioa that torieins 3S0, umol d mercury(WJ} Tinnlcantdoit (Hglz}, Round Your ans4rr...
5 answers
Whlch rotamer Is Iower In energy? CHa CHa CHZCHa"CHa'CHs CHCHaCHsCH3 CHzCHsCH; CHzCHaCH3
Whlch rotamer Is Iower In energy? CHa CHa CHZCHa "CHa 'CHs CHCHa CHs CH3 CHzCHs CH; CHzCHa CH3...
1 answers
[email protected] Ler (G *)t' # group , Then [rore:I ideutite clcment of 4 group (G#his4 uniqlk:Fach eletazt hJs uaiquc inierse ,(BA La (G2} beths group &lins by &-8,h-f4lor reR' J} andhkx) - x,hkr) - ! f() - 1-x.hGr) -# fs6)-4 ak(x)The (Keeraliun M 6 he Uie funetiral caphitln Find:The Ientity o6.he6 =Kek -heh k
[email protected] Ler (G *)t' # group , Then [rore: I ideutite clcment of 4 group (G#his4 uniqlk: Fach eletazt hJs uaiquc inierse , (BA La (G2} beths group &lins by &-8,h-f4lor reR' J} and hkx) - x,hkr) - ! f() - 1-x.hGr) -# fs6)-4 ak(x) The (Keeraliun M 6 he Uie funetiral caphitln Find: The...
5 answers
Given the function f(x,y) =xex^2 +y2 . find the equation ofthe tangent plane to the graph of f at the point (1,2).
Given the function f(x,y) = xex^2 +y2 . find the equation of the tangent plane to the graph of f at the point (1,2)....
5 answers
You have a bet where you win $200 with a probability of 60% andlose $200 with a probability of 40%. What is the standard deviationof the outcome (to the nearest dollar)?please show how can I do this on excel
You have a bet where you win $200 with a probability of 60% and lose $200 with a probability of 40%. What is the standard deviation of the outcome (to the nearest dollar)? please show how can I do this on excel...
5 answers
Pant TanApCalcBr10 22.050 Fndlandi rels foll-rlna Fur te funLon M)-1 AAAliia
pant TanApCalcBr10 22.050 Fndlandi rels foll-rlna Fur te funLon M)-1 AAAliia...

-- 0.017697--