Your PC’s applications are often crashing, and you wonder how to increase RAM windows 10? Let’s dive into this post to grasp the five ways of freeing up RAM.
Random Access Memory (RAM) plays a crucial role in effective PC performance. It acts as a storage, which temporarily contains all the starting applications and other data. However, coming up with multi-responsibility, many Windows 10 users have trouble with RAM space and always question how to increase RAM. This post will give you an insight into how to increase RAM windows 10 to boost their PC performance. Let’s get started!
When Should You Increase RAM Windows 10?
Here are the three common PC’s symptoms that recognize your PC in need of memory updating:
- An app/a program/service takes you a long time to load or even respond.
- You always receive a pop-up “low memory”/“out of memory.”
- The program/webpage load is always crashed.
How To Increase RAM Windows 10?
Is your PC facing all of the issues mentioned above? If it is, you should take the five below solutions on how to get more RAM Windows 10 into consideration.
Expand Virtual Memory
In the case of RAM shortage, Windows automatically moves some load to virtual memory. Most Windows users would prefer to free up the PC’s virtual memory to alter your PC’s current RAM.
Follow the below step-by-step guidance on how to increase RAM on laptop without buying:
- Type Settings at searching icon and startup System.
- Scroll down to the bottom of panel options, choose About, and then click the System info option located below Related settings.
How to increase ram on windows 10
- Under the Control Panel Home, select Advanced system settings to open the System Properties window.
- Continuously click on the Advanced tab and press the Settings button to extend Performance options.
- Under the Virtual Memory tab, hit the Change button at Virtual memory.
- Clear Automatically manage paging files size for all drives checkbox, select C: drive, and finally stick on Custom size.
- Set the Initial size and Maximum size in megabytes.
Notes: It is a unique virtual memory’s size in each device. However, up to one and a half times of current Initial size and three times of current Maximum size should be set.
In particular, you can follow this equation below to estimate both total available memory for your device:
- Initial size (MB) = 1.5 x (1024MB) x (installed RAM(GB))
- Maximum (MB) = 3 x (1024MB) x (installed RAM(GB))
For example: If the RAM installed is 8GB, the results will be:
- Initial size (MB) = 1.5 x (1024MB) x (8GB) = 12288
- Maximum size (MB) = 3 x (1024MB) x (8GB) = 24567
- “Say” Yes if your screen receives a warning message.
- Select Set and then OK to finish.
- Select OK again under the Performance Options and System Properties window.
- Restart your PC to finish.
Clear Up Page Files On PC’s RAM.
Besides virtual memory, it is also worth it to disable the paging file.
Processing the steps below to get rid of page files on Windows 10:
- Follow from step 1 to step 5 of Solution 1.
- Under the Virtual memory tab, uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives, check No paging file, and end tasks with OK selection.
No paging file’s location.
Disable Non-essential Startup Programs/Services/Applications
Although the automated operation of some programs greatly benefits your PC (antivirus, webcam software, etc..), your PC should not automatically run Adobe, iTunes, and Spotify, and others on routine. The more non-essential apps automatically startup, the more potential your PC’s performance slows down.
Take note of the steps below to prevent some programs/services/applications from automatically launching:
- Type Settings at the searching icon and click Startup on the left panel.
- Under the Startup dialog, turn off the items you do not want starting up.
With simple clicks, the question of how to increase RAM in PC without buying is easily solved.
Switch The Background Apps Off.
Apps running in the background benefit from downloading data, updating Live Tiles, and showing notifications. Despite the conveniences mentioned, some non-utility apps harm battery savers, data usage, and some system resources. You should close these apps manually to solve how to increase RAM on laptop for free:
To turn off apps running in the background:
- Process Settings and select Privacy.
- Scroll down to Background apps on the left screen.
- Under Background apps, turn off the toggle switch if you do not want to let this app run in the background.
Eliminate Unnecessary Visual Effects Off
To attract users, Windows 10 integrates tons of visual animations to deliver beautiful displays. However, you may not like these animations at all because they will slow down your PC’s performance.
Disable visual effects in Windows 10 to boost PC performance:
- Go to the Settings dialog.
- Under the Simplify and personalize Windows category, switch the Show animations in Windows off.
Many of the applications, services, and programs starting up on your PC consume your RAM space without you realizing it. But no worries, all those problems can be solved easily and quickly. Hopefully, those five solutions recommended above can perfectly answer how to increase RAM Windows 10.
Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for our next article. See you then!