Normally, when we want to change or install something relating to software, we will open the Run box with the basic cmd command, then continue to make continuous commands to complete the process. If you want to change the Office product key from MAK to KMS, you also need to create some computer commands. Now, see our post to know “How to change Office product key from MAK to KMS.”
What Is MAK And KMS Keys?
MAK and KMS are two types of activation Windows in the Volume License program. MAK is a Multiple Activation Key, and KMS stands for Key Management Service.
MAK is a key allowing you to activate Windows Office through contacting Microsoft. The installation process will be successful automatically by using the Internet or via phone. Besides, you can use only one MAK key for Office copies in the same organization. The limitation of active copies depends on the company’s type of license agreement like Open, Select, Enterprise Agreement, or some licenses.
You can utilize KMS to activate the KMS server if the computers are set up with the same public GVLK key. GVLK is a Microsoft unique key to each Office/Windows edition. Customers use it to activate volume license Office copies on the local KMS server or use the Active Directory-Based activation. After installing GVLK, clients will recognize activation on the Office KMS server in the domain.
Using OSPP.VBS Script To Manage The Key
From Office 2007, if users want to manage the active process of all versions of Microsoft Office, they will need a special VBScript: OSPP.VBS (Office Software Protection Platform). The command locates directly in the folder that you had installed the MS Office before. Moreover, if you are using Office 2010, you can install active Office by computer command below:
And for your Office 2013:
The location of ospp.VBS file will be different depending on which version of Office and Windows type (which is a bit like the information below). You can look at the table below to imagine easily:
How To Change Office Product Key From MAK To KMS
You might want to change the types between them for some work requirements, from MAK to KMS. It’s possible! Follow the steps below to know how to change the Office product key from MAK to KMS. It would be quite hard if you are not good at computer science.
1. Run the cmd dialog box and navigate to the installation folder. This step is an example of the Office 2016 version on the Windows10 x64, which is similar to the Office 2010 KMS client key:
Cd “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16.”
2. Now you have two options:
- Run the ospp.vbs script: specify the script server script every time you want to access the Office file.
- Run the ospp.vbs script indirectly: because of the inconvenience of specifying script server each time, you cannot enter the Office director, use the path: set path=%path%; C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16.
3. You can verify the active installed Office copy with the KMS key. Subsequently, run the command script OSPP.VBS /dstatus and verify the following lines for LICENSE NAME and LICENSE DESCRIPTION:
To change the current Office product key, you must focus on the following command:
cscript OSPP.VBS /inpkey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Following this, replace the series XXXXX with the GVLK product key from the result on the Microsoft website, don’t type all characters with the letter X. Here is an example for Office 2016 Pro Plus, and the screen will look like this:
1. To activate a copy of Office on the KMS server, run the following command: cscript OSPP.VBS /act
2. After that, you will receive a notice of
Ensure that you don’t block the default port 1688 between the client and the KMS server during the process. Use the command that calls PowerShell to enable the output to spread on the client device:
3. Next, on the KMS server, change the content of the command from out to in:
4. The current status of MS Office activation will run with the command: cscript OSPP.VBS /dstatus
5. After you do some commands above, the copy of Office will get activated on the KMS server, and you can use it within 180 days before expiry. Normally, the client will automatically update its activation every seven days continuously in 180 days or more.
It would be best if you kept in mind that the activation status of Office will not appear in any graphical interface of the Office apps.
You can get a tool to find the KMS server, the address, and the port of the KMS server. If there aren’t any SRV entry in the domain, DNS allows clients by the commands below:
Another way to help you find the address and port of the KMS server in DNS is to use the NSLOOKUP tool, affecting corporate networks. Although KMS automatic discovery is impossible, use this command: nslookup -type=srv _vlmcs._tcp.theitbros.com
You can also try this command: cscript OSPP.VBS /remhst to start the KMS Autodiscover mode of the KMS server. Besides, the OSPP.VBS script helps you control the Office activation by a remote computer through the network, and you need to use the command: cscript OSPP.VBS
We know that it is a bit complicated to learn “How to change Office product key from MAK to KMS,” but we hope that these above steps can help you cope with it more easily. As a reminder, some commands could be different depending on the version of Office and Windows type. However, if you still do not know how to do this process, ask someone who has deep knowledge about the software to help you finish it.
Maybe you are interested in