You’ve heard of the alternative activation key before but haven’t tried it for yourself. Here’s how to activate Windows with KMS server to make your life easier!
To those familiar with the office scene, the Key Management Service is quite convenient for customers of the enterprise-class. It has a relatively uncomplicated infrastructure yet allows the different corporate types of Windows OS and Microsoft Office applications. And noticeably, it is not limited by its license or Internet connection like MAK does.
Let’s learn how to activate Windows with KMS server!
Position KMS Activation Host On The 2019 Windows Server
The KMS Server’s versatility allows it to be installed on all versions of Windows. Let’s attempt to install a KMS activation network on Windows Server 2019 on PowerShell, just to see how accommodating the feature really is!
- Switch to the role of Administrator on your device and initiate PowerShell. From there, you can punch in this line: “Install-WindowsFeature -Name VolumeActivation -IncludeAllSubFeature –IncludeManagementTools”
- The further steps won’t be operable if the Windows Firewall on your device comes with Advanced Security. You should allow the connections on TCP port 1688 so KMS clients can contact its corresponding server. But if you’re not too familiar with firewalls and those kinds of manual security methods, you can use PowerShell with this line: “Enable-NetFirewallRule -Name SPPSVC-In-TCP”
- You’ll need to open up your browser and end up at the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center website for the next step. From there, you can follow the tabs in this order: Downloads and Keys > Windows Server > Windows Server 2019 > Key and copy your KMS Host Key (Windows Srv 2019 DataCtr/Std KMS).
- This is where your Windows 10 KMS activation key can be installed onto your existing Windows server! Enter this line to proceed: “slmgr /ipk <your_Windows_SRV_2019_KMS_host_key>”
- Once you’ve had that done, you can start putting your KMS server into action with the online Microsoft servers. Enter the line: “slmgr /ato”. This run will need a bit more power from your Internet connection, so do feel free to switch off other applications that are hogging the bandwidth.
- If you’re getting impatient and want to check on the activation status for KMS, you can use this nifty line: “slmgr /dlv”
- Here’s another option to help you out at your convenience: The Volume License Pack – Office version can provide your computer with the ability to open Office copies via the enterprise network!
- With that, you’re done with the first part of this tutorial, and accessing the KMS client profile is within your reach!
When learning how to activate Windows with this alternative method, it’s important to remember that the KMS key version is directly correspondent to the Windows version it can activate. So if you install Windows 8.1 KMS activate or Windows server 2012 R2 activator key, you will not be able to call up KMS Windows 10!
In case the Windows server you use to install the KMS activation key is outdated, you’ll need special updates, so please inquire about that from your trusty technician.
How To Activate Windows With KMS Server
- Adjust The Activation Key To The KMS Client Setup Key:
Now that you have the software necessary for activation, it’s time to give the KMS Client Setup Key the ability to turn on Windows and its applications. While it is possible to change the function key in Windows GUI with the “slui.exe 4” execution, you should also keep the “slmgr” line tool under your belt.
You can have a unique KMS public key on your keeping to bring up a KMS client for your convenience. This key is usually named the Generic Volume License Key, or GVLK for short, and distinct for every Windows edition to prevent overlapping between versions.
If you ever run into the case where you have to take out a product key and place another in, switch to admin on your PC and punch in this command: “slmgr.vbs /ipk [GVLK key]”.
- Set The KMS Server Address:
Once the GVLK has been established, the client system will attempt to make a connection to the configured KMS server or look for a special server in the DNS to attach itself to. The record will be created immediately as the KMS server is put in your system, then you can do what we call the “OS activation”.
There will be cases where your DNS has got a valid SRV record that directs clients to the server already, so you don’t have to perform this step.
To check the status of your record, please use this line: “nslookup -q=SRV _VLMCS._TCP.theitbros.com”
In case the client cannot connect to its server immediately, you can always give its manual specifications with slmgr with the option “/skms”. You can even go so far as giving port specifications with: “slmgr.vbs /skms <KMS_server_name_or_IP>:1688”.
If you’re doing all this via PowerShell, there’s also another feature you can try. The computer-to-server network connection can be tested with this command: “Test-NetConnection -ComputerName KMS_server_name_or_IP -Port 1688”.
This can honestly be the end of this guide. Enter in this line “Slmgr.vbs /ato” and wait for the confirmation notification!
- Examine How Windows Initiates:
If you’re not feeling too sure, you can always trace back. Punch in this line to see a full display of your activation key: “slmgr.vbs /dli”.
The information returned to you can be quite useful, such as the license status or the expiration date for you to check and renew every once in a while. Your key will be working smoothly once you’ve done all the steps correctly!
What Do You Have To Gain From The KMS Server
You may be familiar with the MAK – also known as the Multiple Activation Keys. It is a great way to access your corporate applications or several of them quickly until you pay attention to the license provided along with the feature. MAK keys can only activate a limited amount of apps, based on the number the agreement states they can.
Moreover, you are limited to use the Windows duplications during your time on the Internet or via phone. This requirement severely limits how often and how flexible you can use your content, especially when you consider that most Windows tools can be used offline on their own!
Now compare that to the star of the show – the KMS Server, you get much more versatility. As a KMS’ client, you’re allowed to send offline requests whenever, even if you’re using the Windows 7 KMS keys or the advanced Windows 10 enterprise KMS key.
And best of all, if you lose your server within their 180 days legislation, you don’t need to spend hours trying to restore it. You can simply get a new server back on your computer, give it a role, enter the host key and activate!
Which Errors Can You Encounter During Your Use?
For most people, it would be smooth sailing from here. The KMS Windows activation key is a great feature if you install it correctly, but there can still be errors present. Here are a few of those faulty messages you can receive if there are problems with the downloaded software:
- “0xC004F074″ — key management server is unavailable. Your KMS service might be deactivated, or the connection port has been disabled or blocked. Please check if either part of the equation is in good shape.
- 0xC004F038 — you did not have the necessary number of activation requests on the KMS server. You need to have at least 25 for the desktop version of Windows, and another 5 for Windows Server. Only then will the application work properly.
- 0xC004F015 — You will spot this failure while trying to switch up Windows 10/Windows server 2016 activator/2019 on an outdated KMS server or an outdated host key. Please reinstall/replace the obsolete version of KMS to apply the application to your device.
- Unable to Reach Windows Activation Servers — This error is very complicated, so please consult your technician to fix it to its roots. You might be asked to activate Windows later and contact the administrator if the former doesn’t work either. This problem isn’t present in new updates like the KMS activation Windows 10, though.
There are definitely ways to solve these problems, but please do not forget that there are technicians and professionals that can do it in the nick of time. Please consult them if you need the job done quickly!
You’ve reached the end of this how to activate Windows with KMS server guide, congratulations! Now with this new ability in your hand, you’ll save so much time and effort trying to boot up Windows. Please share this article with those in need of guidance and contact us if you encounter any problems!
Maybe you are interested in